Bloc Mentor (Remote)
Published by Thinkful Inc.
Bloc’s mentors are experienced developers and designers with a passion for sharing their craft. They believe in the apprenticeship model of education: learning by building under the guidance of an experienced professional. As a Mentor at Bloc, you will work directly with students to support them on their journey to become professional software developers and designers.
Be an engaged mentor, committed to shared success
- Pay attention to important company communications and updates in meetings, email, and Slack
- Maintain an environment of regular, candid feedback with your Squad Lead
- Share what you learn with other mentors and your Squad Lead
Ensure your students are satisfied, engaged and progressing
- Set and manage student expectations and help them stay motivated to make progress
- Maintain a high average satisfaction rating
- Strive to maintain a high assessment pass rates for students → Focus on teaching to objectives.
- Identify and help students who are struggling with learning objectives that should have been mastered previously
- Identify students at risk of a poor outcome and work with your Squad Lead and Student Success to design and implement a remediation plan
Attend the following meetings:
- All Student Sessions
- Bi-weekly squad meetings
- Monthly 1:1s with your squad lead
- All Hands one Friday a month @ 1pm PT (FT Mentors only)
- 10-25 hours per week dedicated to Bloc
- 5+ years relevant professional work experience
- Demonstrate genuine student advocacy and empathy for beginners
- Strong English communication skills
- Be a team player
- Bonus if you have curriculum writing experience